Øyslebø og Laudal
Øyslebø og Laudal is a former municipality in Vest-Agder county,that was located in the old Vest-Agder county in Norway. The 250-square-kilometre (97 sq mi) municipality existed from 1838 until 1899. The administrative centre was the village of Øyslebø. The municipality was located in part of the present-day municipality of Lindesnes in Agder county.
Øyslebø og Laudal herred
|Coordinates: 58°12′43″N 07°31′30″E|
|Established||1 Jan 1838|
|Disestablished||1 Jan 1899|
|• Total||250 km2 (100 sq mi)|
|*Area at municipal dissolution.|
|• Density||7.3/km2 (19/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-1021|
|Created as||Formannskapsdistrikt in 1838|
|Succeeded by||Øyslebø and Laudal in 1899|
The municipality name is an amalgamation of the two parishes that make up the municipality: Øyslebø and Laudal. The parish of Øyslebø (Old Norse: Øyðslubœr) is named after the old Øyslebø farm, where Øyslebø Church is located. The name is derived from the old river name, Øyðsla. The parish of Laudal (Old Norse: Laugardalr) is named after the old Laudal farm, where Laudal Church is located. The first element of the name comes from the old name for the river, Laug, (now the Lågåna river) and the last element (Old Norse: dalr) means "valley". Therefore, the name means "Laug river valley".
The parish of Øslebø og Løvdal was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt law). According to the 1835 census, the parish had a population of 1,895. The spelling of the name was later changed to Øyslebø. On 1 January 1899, Øyslebø og Laudal was split to create two new municipalities: Øyslebø (population: 991) and Laudal (population: 836). These two municipalities later merged with the majority of Bjelland and a portion of Finsland to form the new municipality of Marnardal.
- Store norske leksikon. "Laudal" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- Rygh, Oluf (1912). Norske gaardnavne: Lister og Mandals amt (in Norwegian) (9 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 107.
- Rygh, Oluf (1912). Norske gaardnavne: Lister og Mandals amt (in Norwegian) (9 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 99.
- Registreringssentral for historiske data. "Hjemmehørende folkemengde Vest-Agder 1801-1960" (in Norwegian). University of Tromsø.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- Vest-Agder travel guide from Wikivoyage